Saturday, September 16, 2006

Biking with the baby

Colette and I go on epic bike rides at least once a week. This week we found a great park no far from our house. Colette poses for this picture, she's learned how to do it well.
In Zentzuji, a neighboring town, there is a large temple and shrines. This old tree is important somehow I'm sure, but since I don't read Japanese I have no idea why . . .
These rows of statues stretched on in front and behind me for a few hundred meters, each individual and distinct.
We climbed to the top of a shrine here. I was tired by the time we got there, but curious to see what it was. Biking up to the base took most of my energy, but had I known how hard the climb was I probably would have turned back. The trail was very steep, and long. But the view from the top was great. This bell here is significant to the buddhist shrine, most of them have one. Each person who made it to the top rang the bell, a beautiful lingering gong. I didn't ring it because I have no idea of its significance. The bell is rung by swinging back the hanging log and releasing.
Here is the last of the trail before reaching the shrine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, like a garden. You and Nicolle are getting in good shape by exercising so much and eating mostly vegetables. I hope you are able to enjoy it (Nicolle especially--you are working so hard). Rob, enjoy this time with the little princess--you don't know what your schedule will be in the future. I love all three of you. Love,