Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The baby in disguise


Sneaky sneaky!

Yesterday morning about 7 am we were awaken by a small earthquake. I thought it was a car hitting our house, or someone banging on the walls, until I realized the bed was shaking too, back and forth violently. It only lasted a few seconds and nothing was broken (or even moved that I can tell), but I was amazed at the power and strength that would move the whole house like that.
Looks like I'm going to start babysitting at the school for about 4 hours a day now. It'll be good because Colette will be able to play with kids instead of just ride around or be bored with me. Also the extra money will be nice. Since I bought a guitar (just like Mom's) for $30 from a second hand store, I've been playing guitar more, and I found a great kids songbook (with My Favorite Things, the Rainbow Collection, etc) whilch has guitar tabs in it, so I can play guitar to the kids all day.
The nights have been getting colder, but days are still nice, maybe 70s. Many of the rice fields are ready for harvest and the Japanese farmers go on their little miniature hobbit-like tractors to collect it.
There is an opening in December for a couple to come and teach in the place of our friends Darron and Lori who's contract is up then. If anyone knows of a couple who's interested, or even a single person possibly, please have them send me an email or respond in the blog. The position would be one full-time teacher and one part-time teacher, and one of the teachers must at least have an associates degree. This is unique opportunity for someone with kids, because since the part-time teacher only teaches at the bilingual kindergarten, the kids can come as well. Most ESL jobs require 2 full-time teachers with no kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that teaching opportunity sounds great! Too bad I'd have to get a new husband if I tried to do that! Colette is too cute! Thanks for sending the package! What about you? Any requests for your b-day? What about that thing we talked about, have you found out yet? Elisa

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, please send pictures of the hobbit tractors and rice fields and harvest! Well, what about doing singing time with the kids, maybe they'll be better behaved!? Sounds like you will be working part-time now! I wish I knew someone cool to go out there and keep you guys company! I actually like earthquakes, but i might be wierd. I'm glad ya'll are ok, tho' .
Mom and Dad should totally go to Japan to teach, is that what you were asking mom about?
Elisa

Anonymous said...

colette hides in the closet just like our cat, roxanne! an earthquake sounds scary to me--it's part of the reason i decided not to move to la back when i had the chance. do big ones come there ever? take care!

Anonymous said...

oh wait, that's a doorway, not a closet. dave put that idea in my head and i didn't look at the pic more closely. anyway, she is very sneaky indeed.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I always forget to push the "refresh" button and then I'm a week late seeing your latest postings. What great photos! Colette looks more and more like Amy did at that age. But (as you said) if she looks like a female Rob, who else would she look like? Love your posts and photos.