Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mullet bikes, $115 'Levy's jeans and purple convertables

Colette and Annie played in the water today by the baby shrine (see the next post for more about that). The coastline here reminded me a bit of Hawaii, it had small islands and outcroppings mixed with sandy beaches. I'm very excited to go back when we have our swimming suits!
Here's Nicolle teaching her favorite class, a class of adults. No crying, no dirty diapers, no snotty noses or wild 4 year olds, just sensible, interested adults who can follow most of what she teaches. Here she's asking what they would like to do if they were to visit the USA.
Is it a moped . . . or a bullet bike . . . maybe a mullet bike? For those who want to look cool but still have their feet safely planted.
Beanies are cool even if it's a sweltering summer day, if you have a purple convertable. You can't tell from the picture but it's metal-flake paint and very nice rims. This OG's buddy tripped on his lowriding shorts on the way around the back of the store, I guess they worked there. He looked around to make sure no one was watching but didn't see us in our little 3-door car, not cool enough to be noticed.
Colette was not happy to be in the car. On Saturdays we've been driving an hour to Takamatsu for a half-hour lesson, then another hour right back. Nicolle has classes before and after with exactly an hour between for the commute, so there's no time for sightseeing or shopping in Takamatsu, which is about 4 times the size of Marugame. But we worked it out so that I'll teach the classes before and after, so Nicolle can take the car to Takamatsu early and/or stay there after her class is over to see sights or shop; her next class won't be for 3 hours later now. Too bad we can't all be there together, but it's not worth Colette's unhappiness (and screaming) to put her in a carseat for two hours on hot Saturday mornings.
Today we ate out with Daron and Lori. They're very nice and showed us a place sort of like a Japanese Denny's, it has western-type foods (hamburgers, pasta, etc) and Japanese food. I got curry rice and brisket, Nicolle got a chicken and cheese with tomato sauce thing, both were very good. I'm glad we have a place to take people now when we have visitors. Also we found a nice used clothing store, but a bit pricey. I was wondering why the "Levy" jeans were behind glass until I saw the price tags, over 100$ each, just for ratty old faded Levy jeans, many with holes in the knees. They weren't special low-cut or stylish levys, just plain old levys you might see a farmer wearing in rural Utah. I also saw some leather shoes for 200$. There was a 3$ rack outside which Nicolle picked out a cute shirt from. Had I known how much Levy jeans go for, I would've filled my suitcase with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi:
we have to get better about checking this regularly, like the news. dave and i are doing good--he is still asleep since we got home late from the movies tonight. i'm glad you found a denny's, which seems to be a comfort no matter where in the world you are.

yave said...

I am awake now. Devon posted the comment at 8:30 our time, so I don't feel like too much of a slacker since I got up at 9. We are sadly lacking in Denny's here, but that means we eat there almost every time we leave NY. The pictures are awesome--keep 'em coming. Colette is a celebrity baby. She should start a band, I'm sure it would do well.
I find that the rattier and dingier the Levy's are here, the more expensive they are. $115 is the low end for jeans at some stores.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the cultural difference fascinating? What is trendy where, and why (if you could ever figure that out). I was thinking today that maybe I should try to be a little more fashion conscious, but then realized that I have no idea how. I look at the clothing ads with glazed eyes. Oh well. Love the photos and the commentary--keep them both coming.