Saturday, October 07, 2006

When it rains it pours . . .

The past two weeks have been very busy and exciting. I'm very happy about our new addition coming next May/June. I can't decide whether I want a boy or a girl, not really up to me anyway. A boy might be nice but how do you change his diaper with that spigot in the way? And I like girls, they're so cute.
This week was Nicolle's birthday and it was kindof a bummer because she had to work all day. I had to go to Takamatsu for some classes in the middle, and since she'd told everyone that it would be her birthday they all brought food and gifts to her classes. When I tried to teach her classes after I got back from Takamatsu, each class had brought gifts and food, they looked at me "where's Nicolee" so she ended up teaching them anyway. After she was finished she opened her presents, a volleyball, two dvds, a bunch of candy and chocolate, and some coats from the 2nd hand store (only one of them fits, see what happens when you try to buy clothes for someone who's not there!). Well I tried anyway.
When we verified Nicolle's pregnancy I got a message from the English-speaking owner of a cafe here close to the school where we teach. She said her friend, a professional singer, had given her the name of the manager/agent who does all her booking. I met with her this week and we discussed a bunch of things, but she wants me to play at weddings and with her party band "Jive" as well. The pay is actually decent so it looks promising! Also one of our students is helping me try to scare up some gigs as well. I think most of the work will be in Takamatsu, a city about 4 times the size of Marugame, about an hour's drive from here. Hopefully I can take the train, but actually the price is about the same whether we pay the gas or pay for the train.
On Monday we spoke with our boss about me taking over a bunch of Nicolle's classes. We'd split them up to so that Nicolle would feel less stressed during her pregnancy. It was about half and half but since our boss was so cool about it I've been teaching more than that, and can constantly take on more as time goes on. We also asked her about music, if she would have a problem with me playing gigs and possibly having make-up classes if I had to miss on for a gig, she said that would be fine.
I've found that I actually enjoy teaching. I feel better taking on more of the load, "share the load, Frodo!" something about feeling productive and useful etc. I enjoyed my life of bikeriding and sightseeing but since there was no opposition I didn't feel the need to try to develope myself much. Since I had all day to learn Japanese, practice my many instruments, and whatever else, I hardly ever did. But now that there's a challenge, now that I don't have as much time (I still have lots of time) I am supermotivated. I've been practicing every day and I'm even excited to learn Japanese. I'll need it to communicate on a gig.
Well today's a lazy Sunday, no church today because it's Genreal Conference week here. Last week general conference happened in the middle of the night, so today we're supposed to listen to it. Later on we're having our new Brazilian friends over for dinner, and also our American friends the Watanabes, Lori went on a mission to Sao Paulo so she's excited to meet them as well. I toss the idea around in my head sometimes about organizing some sort of community resources for the Spanish and Portuguese speakers here in Marugame. There isn't really anything here as it is. Maybe an online or physical message board, or group get togethers or something. I think it would be helpfull for those newly arriving, and fun. I know for us it's nice to hang out with Americans because we speak the same language! I like meeting and speaking with Japanese, but there's the old language barrier which makes it impossible to communicate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realized I left Nicolle's birthday card out of the package when I sent her present. So happy late birthday, Nicolle. We love you and miss you and can't wait to see you.