Tuesday, October 24, 2006

first prenatal visit

On Monday we went in for our first prenatal visit. I didn't know what to expect at all. My first prenatal visit when I was pregnant with Colette consisted of blood tests, urine samples and family history of disease. I guess I thought that that would be likely this time too. We arrived 15 minutes early for our appointment and filled out some paperwork, with the help of one of my students (who also set up the appointment and everything, so nice). The clinic had a cute little play area with a little kitchen and stuffed animals that Colette loved. I don't think we would have survived the 40 minute wait without that play area. Finally they asked me to come to the other room alone. I was given a terrycloth skirt to change into. I kind of thought that there must be a mistake because in the states my doctor never did an internal exam, especially on the first visit. I didn't want to make a fuss so I did as I was told and changed then hopped up on to the examening chair. The room was dimly lit but cozy. The doctor came in and introduced herself. Her name is Dr. Pooh (actually I don't know how she spells it but she said Pooh like Winnie-the-Pooh). She speaks excellent English. I saw her lubricating a thing and got a little nervous but she kept talking to me as she inserted it and I hardly even noticed. Suddenly there was the baby! It is so tiny, I could only even tell what we were looking at because I could see the tiny little heart beating. The doctor sent for Rob and Colette so they got to see the baby too, but Colette doesn't like seeing me being examined or something so she started crying and trying to get to me so Rob had to take her out again. After the doctor took some pictures and measurements with the ultrasound she had me change back and meet her in another room to talk. She told me that she wanted to see me again in two weeks. She also said that she would do an ultrasound every visit. She asked me about Colette's birth and told me about the hospital that I would likely deliver in. It is a nice hospital in a nearby city, she said that they are remodeling it so that if I'm lucky I will deliver in the new section of the hospital like a queen:)
In the end they didn't draw any blood, or take any samples, but like Rob said they went straight to the source with an ultrasound. I guess you can say that I was impressed with the whole thing and feel much better about being pregnant in Japan than I did before. I am actually pretty excited now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear everything is going well. I guess Colette is kind of like Rob--when we were little and went to get our shots, I got stuck with the needle and he cried.

Devon says you (and my dad) have the most common birthday. Guess why ... the average length of pregnancy is 274 days. And October 5 falls 274 days after New Year's. I'm not making this up!